Italy identifies IS cell involved in 2013 kidnapping

Published By ITCT News Desk On : December 12, 2018
EXCLUSIVE: Islamic State has groomed family members of Mastung suicide bomber for attacks in Pakistan, says Pakistani intelligence
December 11, 2018
France declares Strasbourg Christmas market shooting a terror attack
December 12, 2018

Italy: On Wednesday the Italian police said it has identified members of the Islamic State group believed to have been behind the 2013 kidnapping in Syria of Italian aid worker Federico Motka and Briton David Haines, who was later killed.

Carabinieri police said they had issued arrest warrants against six suspected jihadis who were “seriously implicated” in the crimes of terrorist association and kidnapping with the aim of terrorism. Police said two of the suspects are already detained in Belgium, while three are at large and a fourth is believed to have been killed.

Three of the suspects were born or raised in Britain and were part of a group known as “the Beatles.” They are considered the most violent, police said.

Motka and Haines were seized by Islamic State militants in northern Syria on March 12, 2013. Both had been working for the French aid group ACTED at a refugee camp in Atmeh, near Syria’s border with Turkey, police said.

SOURCE: The New York Times

Get updates Every Sunday

Subscribe to our newsletter.