MI6 warns of more IS attacks

Published By ITCT News Desk On : February 17, 2019
Jaish al-Adl claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing targeting IRGC in Iran
February 14, 2019
British ISIS bride Shamima Begum to be stripped of British nationality and will not be allowed into Bangladesh
February 21, 2019

United Kingdom: The head of MI6 has warned that the Islamic State group is reorganising for more attacks despite its military defeat in Syria, the BBC reported on Friday.

Alex Younger, the UK’s intelligence chief, also told of his concern about jihadists returning to Europe with “dangerous” skills and connections.

They should expect to be investigated and possibly prosecuted, he said.

His comments come after Shamima Begum, a teenager who ran away to join IS, said she wants to return to the UK.

Ms Begum, now aged 19 and pregnant with her third child, said she had no regrets about travelling to Syria in 2015 but wanted to have her baby in Britain.

Mr Younger told the Munich Security Conference that so far the return of IS militants had proved a “completely manageable problem”, but he warned that it was complex and unpredictable.

“We are very concerned about this because all experience tells us that once someone has put themselves in that sort of position they are likely to have acquired the skills and connections that make them potentially very dangerous,” he said.

As IS faces the loss of its last strongholds in Syria , Mr Younger said it was likely to return to “asymmetric” terrorist attacks, rather than conventional warfare, and it would be harder for spies to penetrate the group now.

The organisation has proved itself “adept at inspiring attacks rather than directing them”, he said.

Get updates Every Sunday

Subscribe to our newsletter.