Sri Lanka army chief says no immediate terrorism threat after Easter Sunday bombings

Published By ITCT News Desk On : June 28, 2019
Terrorism threat in Europe still high: Europol
June 28, 2019
‘Germany has a terrorism problem’: German foreign minister
June 28, 2019

Colombo: Sri Lanka’s army chief Mahesh Senanayake said there was no immediate terrorism threat in Sri Lanka following the Easter Sunday terror explosions, but security forces would continue to remain vigilant, local media reported on Thursday.

Senanayake, testifying before the Special Parliamentary Committee probing the suicide attacks on April 21, said that army forces, police and intelligence agencies were ensuring that all attempts to revive terrorism had been thwarted.

He added since the terrorist attacks in April, coordination between the military, police and intelligent agencies had been strengthened and they were coordinating with foreign intelligence agencies as well.

“We meet regularly and have been able to create an integrated intelligence network with inputs from foreign intelligence agencies as well,” Senanayake said.

“Security forces have been able to contain the situation and have reached a critical juncture where sweeping arrests have been made and links to the banned organizations have been weakened. The security forces are now maintaining their state of alertness,” he added.

Over 250 people were killed and 500 injured when suicide bombers targeted churches and luxury hotels on April 21.

Get updates Every Sunday

Subscribe to our newsletter.